Maps & Terrain
Gran Canaria is a volcanic island with high mountains and many deep canyons and ravines, there are many interesting and spectacular rock formations. The terrain you will be walking on is very variable, from grassy meadows in the North to barren scree in the South.
The condition of most of the paths is good, but they are not all well maintained, on rare occasions you will have to clamber over a rock fall, or fight your way through a bush. After heavy rain some paths in exposed areas can become rather unstable. Certain descents can be rather “skiddy” if very dry or very wet. I try to avoid vertiginous sections but do mention any such sections in the text.
During the years we have been hiking in Gran Canaria there have been many improvements, there is a lot more work being done on path maintenance, and the signposts are significantly better. 20 years ago official signposts were non-existent. For example, in Spring 2012, Eileen and I completed a walk on a newly restored camino real, and we were told that we were the first people to walk on this path through the barranco for 70 years.
During the last 3 years the Cabildo has numbered and signposted many footpaths, this path is now a signposted and numbered path the S 82. This guide we believe will be the only guide available with the new updated information. The signposting of paths is still ongoing.
There are no Ordnance Survey type maps of Gran Canaria. The maps I recommend are from Discovery Walking Guides (DWG)
We have been involved with Discovery Walking Guides (DWG) who have produced what we believe is the best map available for hikers in Gran Canaria. The map has a scale of 1 to 50000 and covers the complete island. The 6th edition is now available, and includes many new hiking trails and more information about the newly signposted routes and much more.
It is available in both printed and digital versions and all of my published walking routes are included, as well as much more. You can see full details on the Discovery Walking Guides website.
The printed version of the map is on Polyart material which is Super-Durable and waterproof. The map is double sided and costs £10.99 inc. VAT in the UK and €15.00 in Gran Canaria. The sixth edition of the DWG map of Gran Canaria has an ISBN number of 9781782750789 and is available from Amazon or Stanfords. The printed version is also available in Gran Canaria.
During the last year Viewranger has been taken over by OutdoorActive, the digital version of the map can be obtained from them, or for more information contact Discovery Walking Guides at:
Where To Buy The Maps
The 6th edition of the Discovery Walking Guides Tour and Trail map of Gran Canaria is now available at many outlets around Gran Canaria. If you are not sure about which will be your closest outlet in Gran Canaria, click on one of the available links below for more location details - or alternatively Contact Me with details of where you will be staying.
The list of map outlets below has been organised in the following geographical set up: South / Central / North / Las Palmas. Please note that some of the distributors, have had their supply of stocks disrupted due to the Pandemic and Brexit, this is especially true of stockists in the north of the island. If you have any difficulty in purchasing the DWG map please feel to contact me and I will inform you of your nearest supplier.
- Bar/Café Buenavista in the San Agustín shopping centre, opposite Hotel Don Gregory.
- Free Motion Bike Hire shop in the Gloria Palace Hotel. The bike shop is near the main pool area, opposite Tina's Club.
- The maps are available from both of the Free Motion shops in Meloneras and Playa del Inglés. Printed versions of the walking guides are also available from these shops.
- Norwegian Club opposite the car park where the street market is held every Tuesday.
- Free Motion bike hire shop, located at the roundabout opposite the Ancora Shopping Centre on the GC 500 in the centre of the town.
- Maps can be purchased from the offices of JPD legal consultants and P and B financial consultants. Their offices are opposite the newly refurbished park in Puerto Rico, situated at Bungalows Martinica No’s 20 & 21, almost opposite McDonalds, near the centre of Puerto Rico. Telephone number 928 725646.
- Free Motion bike hire shop in the Atlante Bike and Hike Centre, which is in the Hotel Cordial, Puerto de Mogán
- Artesania Fataga opposite Bar/Grill Fataga on the main road through the village. This shop sells Canarian products made locally by various craftsmen and women. Printed versions of my walking guides are also available here.
- The maps are for sale at the Hotel Las Tirajanas San Bartolomé on the GC 603. (This hotel is closed until October 2022)
- Las Almendras Blancas, on the main road in the centre of Tunte, the shop is opposite the Petrol Station.
- Rural Hotel Fonda de La Tea - C. Ezequiel Sánchez 22, 35360 Tejeda - Tel: +34 928 666422
- Cueva De La Tea Restaurant - Calle Dr. Domingo Hernández Guerra 21, 35360 Tejeda - Tel: +34 928 666422
*The maps are also now for sale at the petrol station in Tejeda - next to the Bus Station on the GC 60 as you enter the town from the south.
- Restaurante Asador Grill de Yolanda - Calle Cruz de Tejeda, 35328 Cruz de Tejeda - Tel: +34 928 666276
- La Rama Arte y Gastronomía de Gran Canaria - Calle León y Castillo 21, 35480 Agaete - Tel: +34 928 331111
- Hotel Occidental Roca Negra - Av. Alfredo Kraus, 42, 35480 Agaete - Tel +34 928 898009
- Arte-Gaia Restaurante BioTasca - Plaza San Matías 2 - Tel: +34 660 150487
- Meson del Bocadillo - Calle Ntra. Sra. de las Nieves 21
- Salsamora Boutique - Avenida de Los Poetas 28, 35489 Puerto de Las Nieves - Agaete - Tel +34 722 662828
- Hotel Puerto de Las Nieves - Av. Alcalde José De Armas, 35480 Agaete - Tel +34 928 886256
- Delicatessen Enyesque - C. Santiago de los Caballeros, 7, 35460 Gáldar - Tel: +34 649 750160
- Tipografia El Norte Imprenta y Librería - Plaza de Santiago, 11, 35460 Gáldar - Tel: +34 928 553473
- Refugio El Hornillo - Lugar El Hornillo 8, 35480, Agaete - Tel: +34 928 599518
- Hotel Rural Las Longueras - Finca Las Longueras, Carretera Del Valle, 35480 Agaete - Tel: +34 928 898145
- La Bodega de Guía - GC-292, 34, 35450 Santa María de Guía - Tel: +34 600 204617
- Free Motion bike hire shop in Las Palmas - opposite Playa Alcaravaneras on Calle Leon y Castillo. Printed versions of the walking guides are also available here.
- Scandinavian Club - near the tunnel entrance to the motorway which heads towards the north coast, the GC 2. The address is Calle Manuel Gonzalez Martín, No. 15 Las Palmas. Telephone 928 234596
- Mandala Climb - C. Manuel González Martín, 18, 35006 Las Palmas de Gran Canaria - Tel +34 928 249809
There are 2 digital versions, one is for smart phone users, the other can be used with Garmin mapping GPS models. See below for more details.
Smartphone users should download the free OutdoorActive App. This has replaced the Viewranger App which is no longer available.
For clients with Garmin GPS mapping models, the digital map is available online from Discovery Walking Guides as a digital download. It can be downloaded onto a mini SD card.
If you encounter any problems with purchasing the digital versions, please email Discovery Walking Guides at:
We can highly recommend this map and we believe it is the best map available. A map should be purchased to accompany my guides 'Don't Leave Gran Canaria Without Seeing It' to get the 'big picture', as my maps are only very local to give a rough guide of the route. With this map and my notes, getting lost on a mountain walk really should be a thing of the past.
Satellite Views of Gran Canaria
Google Maps and Google Earth are other good ways to get the feel of Gran Canaria and its mountains. No footpaths are shown, but they do show the network of small and larger roads across the island.